Monday, August 3, 2015

Why Watches Are Important In Russia

Dmitry Peskov, left, and the Richard Mille RM 52-01

Leonid Bershidsky, Bloomberg: Where Did Putin's Spokesman Get a $620,000 Watch?

Dmitry Peskov, the spokesman for Russia's president, is known for a level of cynicism that sometimes surpasses even that of his boss, Vladimir Putin. Last weekend, though, Peskov inspired more soap opera than fear or loathing, as attention focused on his $600,000 watch and lavish wedding to a champion figure skater.

Presidential press secretaries are celebrities regardless of the country whose leader they serve: "You're mentioned in talk shows and written about in books," New York Times columnist William Safire was once quoted as saying. "Before long some start to feel as if they actually are a little president."

Update #1: Vladimir Putin's spokesman in luxury watch scandal (The Telegraph).
Update #2: Anger in Russia over Vladimir Putin’s aide seen wearing a watch worth £397,000 – four times his official salary – in wedding photos with new glamorous ice skater wife (Daily Mail)

WNU Editor: That is not my style of watch .... $600,000 .... you gotta be kidding me. Not to be undone .... Russian President Putin also has a serious the watch collection .... Putin's Extravagant $700,000 Watch Collection (AP). As for my watches .... old Russian GF gave me a Patek Philippe (to have an impression when I was working in the FO .... which it did) .... and my current GF gave me a Rolex .... in both cases it was a gift for my birthday. Sighhh ..... my wish for a new Callaway set of golf clubs (in both cases) did not impress them .... and the sad part is that I am always using my smart phone to check up on the time.

No comments: