Thursday, September 18, 2014

If Scotland Votes 'Yes' How Much Gold Will They Get From The The Bank Of England?

Gold bullion in the vaults at the Bank of England. The posters on the walls remain from the time during World War II when it was used an underground staff restaurant. Daily Mail

Ownership Of UK Gold Up For Negotiation If Scotland Votes "Yes" -- Reuters

(Reuters) - An independent Scotland could lay claim to a part of the United Kingdom's 310-tonne gold reserves if votes go in favour of the "Yes" campaign this month, with ownership of Britain's bullion hoard up for negotiation along with other assets.

"The distribution of the UK's assets in the event of Scottish independence would be subject to negotiation between an independent Scottish Government and the continuing UK government," a spokesman for the United Kingdom Treasury said on Monday.

The United Kingdom, whose reserves are worth 7.84 billion pounds ($12.6 billion) at today's prices, is currently the world's 18th largest official sector gold holder.

Read more ....

My Comment: Here is an easy prediction .... if Scotland does vote Yes (which I doubt) .... economic/financial/Gold/division of assets/debt/etc. .... this is where the fireworks between Scotland and Britain will really break out.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Given the parallels of the Stuart monarchy and the Qing, I have as much sympathy for the Scots as the Manchu.


The Scots have representation in parliament. Unless Scottish MP vote consistently differently than English and Welsh MPs, what is the point other than faddishness?

Unknown said...

not a damn bit ......would be my vote

Unknown said...

You know I have the day off and getting drunk with my boys. ....if I start commenting on the WNU message board

War News Updates Editor said...

You know Travis .... regular reader and commentator D. Plowman from Ireland said the same thing a week or two ago .... hmmm .... I think there is a trend shaping up. About time .... because .... cough cough .... it will not be the first time that someone posted stuff on this blog after a few drinks.

D.Plowman said...

Heheh...

Well a few pints of Guinness is good for lubricating the brain :P

In regards to Scotland; I say best of luck to them, whichever way they vote.

I can't help but feel a tad bitter though... We had to fight for our independence, they get to vote for it! Lucky lucky bastards!!!

Unknown said...

I would love to sit down and have a drink and discussion with all the posters on WNU.Usually the topics we discuss here have so many layers , that its hard to really get down to it all.....but if I am feeling loose of the tounge....I just let it rip .

War News Updates Editor said...

I know what you are thinking Travis. And the sad part is that those who do post their comments are just a small fraction of the audience for this blog. The emails I get .... sighhh .... it is a shame that I cannot share what they say to me with the readership of this blog.

Speakings of readers .... and it is a post that I am overdue to put up .... I checked yesterday on this blog's traffic .... since it's start there has been over 4 million true visitors and over 10,000,000 page views.

Wow .... I feel humbled and overwhelmed. I started this blog 7 years ago to practice my English and to put down some of my thoughts. I never expected a huge and diverse audience from all parts of the world. Never in my wildest dreams. I was happy with just a few followers who were curious on what I had to say .... or what I was following on the news.

Unknown said...

You deserve it. Weather I always agree with you or not.....you put stories up from multiple perspectives. When folks post on the message board, you stay professional and consistent. You are my favorite FSB agent and the only blog I will ever follow and comment on. Keep up the good work.

War News Updates Editor said...

Dammit .... I have been outed.